I’m excited to share the official roadmap and and Beta releases leading up to the General Availability (GA) release date for Sensu Go, the latest and greatest version of Sensu. Here are some key upcoming dates:
- Beta 7 releases on October 26, 2018 (today!)
- Beta 8 will release on November 8, 2018
- Sensu Go initial GA release date will be November 30, 2018
See the full roadmap below, plus the story behind the name “Sensu Go.”
Sensu Go is the official product name for the new version of Sensu. We have been referring to the major version of Sensu as “Sensu 2.0” since we broke ground on the rewrite, back when Sensu Core was version 0.28 Since then, we’ve shipped the current Sensu Core 1.0, Sensu Enterprise 2.0 and 3.0, and will likely ship a Sensu Enterprise version 4.0 before feature development ends. With that in mind, the initial Sensu Go release on November 30 will launch as version 5.0. Going forward, future releases will be referred to as Sensu Go 5.x (and beyond).
Here’s why we landed on “Sensu Go:”
- As many of you know, the next version of Sensu is written in the Go programming language (the repository is even named sensu-go).
- One of our most important goals for Sensu Go is to make it easier to get up and running with Sensu (i.e., make it easier to “get going”).
- Last but not least, we like our product names to have meaning (Sensu means “folding fan” in Japanese, which speaks to Sensu’s flexibility and fanout model). In keeping with that theme, it just so happens that “5” is pronounced “Go” in Japanese.
We 💚 the illustrations from SVP of Engineering Greg Poirier’s Sensu Summit 2018 talk.
With that bit of housekeeping out of the way, I’m excited to share our Q4’18 and Q1’19 roadmap for both Core and Enterprise, as well as our Beta release schedule and an awesome opportunity for you to ask questions and share feedback with the Sensu product and engineering teams.
Sensu Go roadmap
Here’s our roadmap through Q1, plus features you can look forward to:
Sensu Go Beta 7: October 26, 2018
- Bug fixes (thank you for your feedback!)
- Handler and mutator assets
Sensu Go Beta 8: November 8, 2018
- New versioned API
- Simplified multi tenancy (change from organization+environment, to "namespaces")
Sensu Go 5.0 (initial GA release): November 30, 2018
- A future-forward, redesigned, and versioned API that integrates well with Kubernetes
- New-and-improved role-based access control (RBAC)
- Handler and mutator asset support
Sensu Go 5.1: January 31, 2019
- Updated web UI with the ability for initial configurable components (Enterprise only)
- Enterprise PagerDuty handler (Enterprise only)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) integration (Enterprise only)
Sensu Go 5.2: February 28, 2019
- Incorporating feedback from the GA launch
- Bug fixes
Sensu Go 5.3: March 29, 2019
- Feedback/bug fixes/requested features from users
- Additional configurable components (Enterprise only)
- Federated views in the web UI (Enterprise only)
- Managing Sensu resources from the UI (Enterprise only)
We want your feedback!
We’re hosting our next Community Chat on November 8, 2018 at 11am PT. I’ll be there with Greg Poirier to discuss the upcoming Sensu Go release and answer your most pressing Sensu Go questions. Register here — we hope to see you there!
As always, we encourage folks to join our Community Slack to convene with like-minded folks in the industry and discuss all things #monitoringlove and Sensu Go. We’ll continue to keep you in the loop about product changes, and we hope you’re as excited about the Sensu Go release as we are.