We're making temporary EOL repositories available for Sensu Core 1.x & Sensu Enterprise 3.x to help you prepare for the upcoming EOL dates.
Earlier this year, we reached an important early milestone for the next-generation Sensu Go platform with the General Availability of commercial support for Sensu Go. A few weeks later, we announced that Sensu Core 1.x – the original Sensu open source project – would reach end of life (EOL) on December 31, 2019, and that commercial support for Sensu Enterprise (latest version 3.x) would reach EOL on March 31, 2020. However, we didn't go into too much detail about what this would mean – what changes users can expect, and when. In this post, I’ll address the following questions:
- Where can I find information about upgrading to Sensu Go?
- What is happening in preparation for the EOL?
- What is going to happen on or immediately after December 31, 2019?
- What is going to happen on or immediately after March 31, 2020?
The TL;DR is we're happy to announce that the Sensu Core 1.x repositories will remain available for all users until April 6, 2020 – however, action is required to avoid an interruption of service. Keep reading to learn more.
Where can I find information about upgrading to Sensu Go?
If you don't know, now you know: Sensu Go is a simpler Sensu that improves the scalability, integration, and security of the Sensu platform. Thanks to our simplified new pricing, Sensu Go is free for all users up to your first 100 nodes. To learn more about what's new in Sensu Go, please visit the Sensu documentation. For more information on upgrading from Sensu Core 1.x or Sensu Enterprise 3.x to Sensu Go, check out the following resources:
- Upgrade to Sensu Go from Sensu Core 1.x
- Translate Sensu Core 1.x and Sensu Enterprise 3.x configuration to Sensu Go with sensu/sensu-translator on GitHub
- Get help upgrading to Sensu Go from other Sensu users on Discourse
Need more help? Contact us today to learn more about professional services for upgrading to Sensu Go.
What is happening in preparation for the Sensu Core EOL?
Ever since the General Availability release of Sensu Go, we have been making changes to the Sensu website, documentation, and community forums to promote Sensu Go as the natural replacement of Sensu Core 1.x and Sensu Enterprise 3.x. We are also planning a few other activities in preparation for EOL. The most important changes are as follows:
- Removed Sensu Core download links from the Sensu website downloads page (no Sensu Core 1.x download assets were removed, we just stopped publishing a list of available downloads). NOTE: instructions to download Sensu Core 1.x are available in the corresponding product docs.
- Changed the Sensu website "Docs" navigation so that it links directly to Sensu Go documentation (instead of the https://docs.sensu.io homepage).
- Updated the https://docs.sensu.io homepage with EOL dates for Sensu Core, Sensu Enterprise, and Uchiwa.
- Beginning today, a new "eol-repositories.sensuapp.org" DNS record is available for organizations that need to continue deploying Sensu Core 1.x after December 31, 2019. These DNS records will remain active until April 6, 2020.
What is going to happen on or immediately after December 31, 2019?
The Sensu Core project will reach EOL on Tuesday December 31, 2019. Please note the following details about what will happen on and after December 31, 2019.
- The sensu/sensu and sensu/uchiwa repositories will be archived on Tuesday, December 31, 2019. The source code will continue to be hosted on GitHub, but the repository will become "read only" (i.e., new issues, PRs, and comments will be disabled). See "About archiving repositories" on GitHub.com for more information on what to expect.
- Wednesday, January 1, 2020 is a Sensu Inc company holiday, so we will not be performing any EOL activities on January 1. As a team of former IT operators, infrastructure engineers, and site reliability engineers, we have fond memories of taking some much needed PTO immediately following January 1 as the new year often marked the end of the busy holiday season (that holiday season on-call is no joke)! For this reason, we will not be performing any EOL activities between Thursday, January 2 and Sunday, January 5, 2020.
- The current Sensu Core 1.x repository DNS records (repositories.sensuapp.org and sensu.global.ssl.fastly.net) will be removed on Monday, January 6, 2020. Any unattended Sensu deployments that haven't been updated to use the "eol-repositories.sensuapp.org" DNS records will see errors by EOB. The EOL repositories (eol-repositories.sensuapp.org, available through April 6, 2020) will provide a temporary remedy for these deployments.
What is going to happen on or immediately after March 31, 2020?
The Sensu Enterprise platform will reach EOL on Tuesday, March 31, 2020. Please note the following details about what will happen on and after March 31:
- During the week of April 6, 2020 all Sensu Core 1.x (and older), Uchiwa (all versions), and Sensu Enterprise 3.x (and older) repositories, packages, binaries, and other assets will become unreachable.
- During the week of April 6, 2020 the https://docs.sensu.io homepage will be updated to remove all references to the Sensu Core, Sensu Enterprise, and Uchiwa documentation. All legacy Sensu documentation will be unpublished from the Sensu documentation website.
That's all the details we have to share for now. If you have any questions about anything we haven't covered here, please let us know on the Sensu Community Forum on Discourse, in the "Migrating to Sensu Go" category. Otherwise, we hope you are already starting to see some benefits from Sensu Go and are looking forward to exciting new improvements just around the corner.